I received a phone call a few days ago from a friend of mine that ended up in the hospital after her husband turned on the central heating system for the night. Needless to say, their house did not have a carbon monoxide alarm installed. I quickly jumped on Wikipedia to refresh my understanding of this extremely dangerous condition. So just the big points… copied from Wikipedia:
Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion of organic matter due to insufficient oxygen supply to enable complete oxidation to carbon dioxide (CO2). It is often produced in domestic or industrial settings by older motor vehicles and other gasoline-powered tools, heaters, and cooking equipment.
The question that begs being asked is: why would anyone with a non-electric heating source choose not to install a carbon monoxide alarm? Even the state of Washington agrees with this as shown in the following two blogs about Washington state regulations put into effect just this year.
If there is just one take from this short blog… please install a carbon monoxide alarm and protect your family.